Introduction: As winter approaches, businesses face the annual challenge of snow and ice management to ensure the safety of employees, customers, and visitors. While traditional solutions like salt and ploughing are commonly used, tar & chip surfacing offers a unique and effective alternative. In this blog post, we’ll explore the role of tar & chip in snow and ice management for businesses.
How Tar & Chip Handles Snow and Ice:
- Excellent Traction:
- Tar & chip surfaces are known for their exceptional traction, even in adverse weather conditions. The textured surface created by the stone chips provides a grip for vehicles and pedestrians, reducing the risk of slips and accidents.
- Anti-Ice Properties:
- Tar & chip surfaces have natural anti-ice properties. The stone chips protrude slightly from the surface, making it more difficult for ice to form a solid bond. This means that the tar & chip surface is less likely to become dangerously slippery in freezing temperatures.
- Minimal Snow Accumulation:
- Unlike smooth surfaces that can accumulate thick layers of snow, tar & chip surfaces tend to have minimal snow buildup. The rough texture prevents snow from adhering, allowing it to be easily cleared away manually or with light ploughing.
- Durability in Cold Temperatures:
- Tar & chip surfaces are designed to withstand extreme temperatures. They are less susceptible to cracking and damage caused by freeze-thaw cycles, ensuring their longevity through harsh winters.
Additional Benefits for Businesses:
- Cost-Effective Solution:
- Tar & chip surfacing is cost-effective for businesses managing snow and ice. Its durability and natural anti-ice properties can lead to long-term cost savings compared to frequent salt applications.
- Minimal Environmental Impact:
- Using tar & chips for snow and ice management reduces the need for large quantities of salt and chemicals that can harm the environment. This eco-friendly approach aligns with businesses’ sustainability goals.
- Aesthetic Appeal:
- Tar & chip surfaces offer a rustic and natural appearance that enhances a business’s curb appeal even during winter. It presents a clean and well-maintained image to customers.
Considerations for Implementation:
- Professional Installation:
- Working with experienced contractors to install tar & chip surfaces is essential. Proper preparation and sealing ensure the surface’s effectiveness in snow and ice management.
- Regular cleaning and inspection are necessary to keep the tar & chip surface in top condition throughout the year, especially after winter weather.
Conclusion: Tar & chip surfacing is a valuable asset for businesses when managing snow and ice during the winter season. Its natural anti-ice properties, excellent traction, and cost-effectiveness make it a compelling choice for maintaining safe and attractive commercial properties. By investing in tar & chip surfaces and ensuring proper installation and maintenance, businesses can effectively manage winter weather challenges while reducing environmental impact and enhancing their overall image.